Every year in the second week of February I pack my sleigh and set out for a weeklong journey over the mountains from Sweden to reach the openingday of Røros winter fair in Norway. In my company I usually have 10-15 horses and 30-40 men and women who travel together. It is amazing, truly magical in so many aspects. My only regret has been how few people that are able to share the experience with me. This blogg is an attempt to give you all a glipse of magic and perhaps one day some of you will feel the urge to set out on a journey of your own... (Anette was kind enough to keep the entries of 2012 when I could not join)


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I finally arrived Klövsjö at 10am this Monday morning. Barely managed to drag all of my luggage out of the bus. It stops outside the bakery where my brothers’ girlfriend is working. Then off to a late breakfast at grandparents house, Home sweet home :-). The rest of the day will be spent packing and getting equipment in order. The large furecoat was repaired on my last visit during Christmas and will hopefully last another 150 years. It’s a lot of work when dealing with these old organic materials, but it’s good that it’s old. I have to say I probably wouldn’t be comfortable wearing anything made out of dogskinn if it was younger than that. My hat and gloves are made out of Beaverskinn and the rest of my clothes are mainly made out of woven wool. Gore-tex simply wouldn’t do the trick in this case. People and horses are beginning to arrive from Norway and from different Swedish counties, we have even managed to establish an Icelandic colony within the group this year ;-). People are also arriving earlier than usual this year and although I know it is partly because there’s lots to get done before leaving I think it’s also because we all are happy to get an early taste of the journey-atmosphere ;-).

2 comments:

  1. Ha en riktigt trevlig resa och se efter min gamle far =) kram Sara Svensson

    ReplyDelete
  2. En skön omväxling från GISandet hör jag :) Lycka till på resan!
    /Sörman

    ReplyDelete


About Me

Home is often, too often perhaps, defined by where my backpack last was unpacked and part of the year home is in a sleigh somewhere in the mountains between Norway and Sweden...