Every year in the second week of February I pack my sleigh and set out for a weeklong journey over the mountains from Sweden to reach the openingday of Røros winter fair in Norway. In my company I usually have 10-15 horses and 30-40 men and women who travel together. It is amazing, truly magical in so many aspects. My only regret has been how few people that are able to share the experience with me. This blogg is an attempt to give you all a glipse of magic and perhaps one day some of you will feel the urge to set out on a journey of your own... (Anette was kind enough to keep the entries of 2012 when I could not join)


Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thursday 17/2-2011


Then its here, my last day of this journey. Many have left already and I can feel the sadness sneaking up on me when reality is trying to burst my bubble. I’m listening to a fiddle playing in the backyard and I try to absorb every smile, smell and sound so that I can keep it in storage for some time. There will most likely be another journey next year but it is difficult to imagine at the moment and who knows where I’ll be next year...
Bags are packed and although I haven’t said all my farewells we are walking down to the railwaystation. I’m trying to find some way to stay in the bubble a while longer. A fellow forbonde from one of the other sleighteams joined us on the train which helped a bit. When he left us in Hamar we were only three very exhausted travelers left on the train to Oslo slowly adapting to reality again. On the last stretch to Gothenburg my only company was the intense smell of bonfire from my hair which fortunately disappeared in the shower the following morning but even that was a bit sad.
This morning when I sat down in front of the computer at university something hit the side of the chair. It was the large 18th century iron key to my wooden travel-chest, still dangling from my belt it didn't quite fit in anymore and is now safely tucked away.
Thank you all for your company on this journey and hopefully I'll see you again next year.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jennica:
    THANK YOU so much for sharing this journey!
    Congratulations to you and your Forbonde and equine companions. Your photos are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete


About Me

Home is often, too often perhaps, defined by where my backpack last was unpacked and part of the year home is in a sleigh somewhere in the mountains between Norway and Sweden...